10.19.2012

Frozen Hell?

So - this might be a little embarrassing, but that's what parent's are for.  Tessa is over 4 years old and she still sleeps with a pacifier at night (we call it a pappy).  Well - she did until about a week ago.  I hate the damn things.  She's always losing them, I'm always searching for them, I think she's too old, Mike said she'll quit when she's ready, etc.  We tried quitting about four months ago and it was a disaster, crying all night, I finally gave in.  I didn't want to have to do this by myself, I decided to wait until Mike was in town and he could "help" with that process.  She will frequently say "Guess what Mommy, I'm going to sleep without my pappy tonight"  Mostly because she REALLY likes praises and want us to be proud of her all the time.  Then when night comes, she says "I have a great idea, how about I sleep without my pappy tomorrow night?"  Which, of course, never happens.

She had a little bit of a rough week last week on Monday and Tuesday.  She got into trouble several times, we had multiple conversations about it, lots of tears and I'm sorries, etc.  Then she did really great for two days, no issues, making good choices, no name on board, etc.  She was so excited and said " Mommy, I made good choices, didn't put stuff in my mouth and used my listening ears!  Are you so proud of me?  And tonight, I'm going to sleep without my pappy!"  I blew it off since I had heard her say this before, but when she went to bed that night, she didn't ask for it.  We laid down, read a couple of books, and sang some songs and then she finally went to sleep.  The next morning she woke up and said she had slept with out her pappy.  I told her how proud I was, but was worried about the next night.  Well, she did it again!  So I told her I would make a chart and we would put a sticker down for every night she slept without a pappy and when she got 10 stickers she could get a special present.

Well - we have EIGHT stickers now!  She has not slept with one since.  Hallelujah!

The, to top all of this great development off!  Ellis is in the very infancy of potty training.  Generally, he screams NO if asked if he wants to go potty.  I have gotten him to sit on it a couple of times, but not much after that.  At school, one of the teachers is working with him, but aside from a one-time fluke, we haven't gotten much "action".  When I picked him up yesterday, he had peed on the potty TWICE!    Seriously, Hell must have frozen over if my daughter is sleeping without a pappy and Ellis is on his way to potty-training.

I probably am jinxing myself by writing this post, though.  We'll see.

1 comment:

sam said...

Congratulations!!