12.27.2010

Kirsten

I want to dedicate todays post to my sister, Kirsten. She deployed for Iraq today for 6 months on an assignment to a base in northern Iraq to teach Iraqis to fly. She's been deployed before, but she has never been based in Iraq, she was always in some remote (sometimes tropical) locations and was refueling other aircrafts. She was in her combat fatigues which made it all the more difficult. I'm so proud of her and I am trying to be optimistic and supportive. I know she is in a much safer region and since she is probably the only female pilot these guys have seen, I'm sure everyone will take extra care of her.

We got to spend some GREAT quality time with her over the Holiday weekend. We basically camped out at my parents house and had a great Christmas. I will be thinking of her constantly and can't wait for all of her e-mails and updates and skype. We also have a blog just for her where she can post stuff, but other people can post stuff also. Several of my parents friends along with my parents have decided to make a certain sacrifice or "resolution" for her deployment. Some people are going to lose 17.9 lbs (she's being deployed for 179 days), I think my dad is going to one push-up for every day that she is deployed. Of course he won't have to do them all at once, just through-out the day. My mom is giving up margaritas while she's gone. I plan on doing yoga 5 days a week while she is gone. I need to get back into a work-out routine any ways, and then calmness of yoga will help me with the anxiety of having a loved one deployed.

My sweet cousin Aly organized Captain Kirsten's home team, and every week someone is assigned to sending her a care package. She knows about the packages, but she has no idea who is assigned each week. I will probably also get Tessa and Ellis' school involved and try and get some things together that Kirsten wants once she is over there and knows more about what's going on. If she has a lot of interaction with Iraqi children or their parents, I know soccer balls are a HUGE favorite.

Anyways, I love you so much and can't wait to hug you soon.

No comments: