6.25.2012

Rhinoceros Beetle

What in the hell? Apparently there are these GINORMOUS beetles called Rhinoceros Beetles. The like wooded areas and for some reason I have NEVER EVER seen one until recently.......where I've seen four now.....ALL on my back deck. Our daycare saw one as well and took a picture. I've been scouring the internet for Southern Infestations but all I can find is that they apparently make great pet beetles. Yeah, that's right, I said PET beetles. I have no idea what possesses any sane person to try to domesticate a beetle.

According to my research, they tend to me nocturnal, they fly and apparently are not good at landing. They live for about 24-30 months, but most of that (~18mo) is spent in the larvae state. Another gross fact that you dooms-day preppers might want to note is that in the larvae state they have an extremely high protein percentage (40%) which is much higher than chicken or steak. The males have horns that are just for show (HAHAHA go figure) and for fighting other males (again, not surprised by this fact that seems to permeate ALL make species on this planet. They don't bite or sting, which per my google sources is another reason they make good pets.

I've included two pictures I took this evening so you can see the scale (pardon the trim-work which is in dire need of repair)





No comments: