1.10.2012

My sweet little man

When I was pregnant with Ellis, I couldn't understand how I would love someone else as much as I loved Tessa. I was so worried I would neglect this new baby or not be attached to it. Mike would just laugh at me.

Then Ellis was born. He's so different from Tessa and they both seem to fit the boy/girl stereotypes. Tessa is all personality, energy, sass, attitude, independent, smarty-pants. Ellis is low-key, go with-the-flow, sweet, energetic, moody, moose-head. He's more cuddly, but Tessa really misses all the attention so since Ellis was born she has become a lot more huggy and kissy. Mike and Tessa have the typical father-daughter relationship and Ellis and I have the typical Mother-Son relationship. Mike always chuckles now when Ellis and I are are cuddled up somewhere and I just can;t stop kissing him, he remembers how I used to worry about loving him as much as Tessa.

Here's what I worry about. Mothers and daughter have a special bond and I think they tend to be closer as they get older. Once you become a mother yourself you really relate to your own mother. But once a son grows up, they're not quite as involved with thier moms like daughters are. Whereas I feel like I have a lifetime of bonding with Tessa, I feel like once Ellis is in college he'll be lost to some other woman (this is why mother-in-laws get a bad rap). But I also don't want Ellis to be a Momma's Boy. How do you raise them to be sweet, smart, strong, independent, confident, humble men but still love thier mommies? Am I the only one worried about this?

No comments: